Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Viva Voce - The Heat Can Melt Your Brain  (Read 4495 times)

rva

Viva Voce - The Heat Can Melt Your Brain
« on: September 13, 2004, 03:56:42 PM »

The cd comes out tomorrow.  Anyone else like them?  I never heard their stuff on WOXY but KEXP plays them a lot.

I'm hoping this is the cd where they cross the line from "solid, but somewhat unfocused" to "great."  The two cuts I've heard so far have me very optimistic.

rva

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 10:32:19 PM »

No one cares?  What if I said the band is a crafty blend of girl-boy indiepop (Heavenly States, Minty Fresh label-mates Papas Fritas), low-fi production (John Vanderslice), and shoegaze (MBV, Slowdive)?  There's definitely more than a little 4ADness in there as well. . . and all this with only two members.  

If you don't believe me, go to http://www.vivavoce.com/ and you can listen to their entire last album, and also "Alive with Pleasure" from the new one.  "Alive with Pleasure" starts off kind of rockin', then shifts into spacey dream-pop with a big, sweet, killer chorus a la Polyphonic Spree.

Then go download it from Audio Lunchbox for $8.91 in either mp3 or Ogg/Vorbis.  Or, you could be a big APPLE LOSER like Nate and pay $9.90 for it from iTunes in crap-ass AAC.   :twisted:

Seriously, it's well worth the money no matter how you get it.  I know I've been pimping a lot of albums recently, but unlike Palomar (which will be too sweet for many) and DBT (which is unfairly pigeonholed as a Southern Rock/jam band), this is something that has a broad appeal.

wpai

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 05:35:18 PM »

Wow, I can't believe someone else out there loves this album as much as I do!  I got the cd right around the same time you did and it's really growing on me.  

It's interesting the groups you compare them, too.  Because if it were me I'd say it's a bit more like mellow Fiery Furnances the way the play they around with snippets of melody.  Only instead of sucking like Fiery Furnaces, this is really good.

You know what's going to happen though, right?  This thread will die of neglect and then four months later WOXY will start playing the album and someone's going to be all  "Hey! Anyone heard that group Viva Voce?  They rock!  Anyone heard them?"

And then we'll be all '' 'Cuz you been jockin' The Fiery Furnaces's tip this whole time, you stupid poseurs and now we don't even like them anymore now that you asshats think its cool."

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 05:43:23 PM »

Is my bro talking to himself?

Hmmmm...  :-k
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

rva

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 05:45:08 PM »

Yep, wpai.  Sure to happen.  And you know why it's gonna happen?  

Too much listening to WOXY, not enough listening to WPAI.  We are visionaries, my friend.

My message to the people is this:  

You  need not understand my genius.  (And really how could you possibly?  By definition, my thoughts way above your head, really.  Can you even follow this?)  

No, all I ask is that you submit to it.  

LISTEN TO THIS CD!

wpai

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 05:58:18 PM »

sssshhhh!  They're coming to silence us!

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 06:27:42 PM »

Both sides of your personality are completely bonkers!

Despite that, it looks like i'd best check this out. You sell it well.
Am Meer

Action Jim

• Part of the problem
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 04:27:38 PM »

I think I'll have to check it out, too, since it's turned rva into Tyler Durden.  Plus, I've been on a bit of a Slowdive kick lately.
size=10]"If God had wanted man to play soccer, He wouldn't have given us arms."

"The future's so bright, I -- I can't bear to look."  - This Modern World[/size]

rva

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 05:18:15 PM »

Yeah, get it.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  There's a bit of every indiepop style post-1990 in there.  That's why it's so cool.

Bonus:  I just realized that Anita Robinson is kinda cute, too.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2004, 06:56:35 PM »

That sold me on it!
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull
Pages: [1]   Go Up