Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike Watt visits Cincy and beyond  (Read 3019 times)

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
Mike Watt visits Cincy and beyond
« on: September 17, 2004, 04:27:34 PM »

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-09/16.shtml#story3  

Other than this being on a friggin' Tuesday night, I can't see a reason why I will not be at this show.
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 10:31:34 PM »

Anybody going? Anybody wanna go?

http://www.citybeat.com/current/music.shtml
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Mr Pink

• missing in action
  • City Elder
  • aggressively lazy
    • MySpace
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 01:56:58 AM »

Quote from: "JohnnyRoyale"
Anybody going? Anybody wanna go?

http://www.citybeat.com/current/music.shtml

I wanna go, but I might be going to see Blonde Redhead...

Decisions, decisions, decisions...
[size=9]Forza Azzurri![/size]

thepsychicpoirot

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 05:08:34 PM »

I'm thinking about it.  let you know tomorrow.

Mr Pink

• missing in action
  • City Elder
  • aggressively lazy
    • MySpace
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 05:11:27 PM »

My decision has been made, and I will be heading down to see the San Pedro Madman!
[size=9]Forza Azzurri![/size]

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 05:26:47 PM »

Quote from: "Seattle93"
My decision has been made, and I will be heading down to see the San Pedro Madman!
Great stuff, blahblahblah....

Lucky cunts - I wish I could join you bunch of miscreants. Have fun!
Am Meer

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 05:42:21 AM »

Quote from: "Seattle93"

See ya there, Sancho!

thepsychicpoirot

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 03:57:00 PM »

I'll probably be there with Spectre. Look for me in Khaki pants.  Spectre will be a big dude with a ponytail.  Come say HI.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 04:03:44 PM »

I'll be over at Habit's doing some homework if anyone wants to stop by and hang out before the show.

thepsychicpoirot

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 01:00:18 AM »

Whoa.  I have to admit, I haven't heard Watt's new album.  Initially, I wasn't going to go to this show because I knew it was a departure, soundwise, for him and I figured I'd be better off listening to the record and then going to see how it's replicated live.  I love Watt and have much respect for him, but when he walked on stage and said "We're going to play a really long, weird song for you.  Hope you like it", I knew that I was in for something.  What that something was, I couldn't really be sure of aside from my past live Watt experiences and the tight bass/drums/hammond configuration on the stage before me.  Throughout the show the only thing I could think of was Ren and Stimpy and Coltrane while Watt sang about pissbags & tubing and the Pellican Man.  I sat in the back, which was up higher so I could see the stage and watch the audience and how they responded.  With the exception of a few people in the front who were bobbing their heads to some beat that I certainly couldn't pick up on, most people just stood there.  I couldn't help but think 99% of the people there were like me and haven't heard his new record and didn't quite know what to think.  I wish I could have seen their faces.  60 minutes and one album later, the song was over.  They walked off stage for a few minutes.  You could see heads turn and look at each other.  Some slightly cocked, some with expressions visible through the dim lighting.  I could swear that I saw a couple of large, glowing question marks floating above some heads.  I probably had one above mine. They came back on stage to do an encore that included a few Minutemen songs, including "This Ain't No Picnic", which was worth the price of admission alone - especially to hear the hammond organ do D. Boon's guitar parts.  That gave me chills.  But after a few songs, they stopped.  I wasn't expecting to see the 48 State Kuda-Bake Tour all over again, but damn.  I  wasn't expecting tonight's set either.

Much love and respect to Watt.  I still love you, man.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 10:52:24 AM »

I gave it a try, but I just didn't get it.  Not saying it was bad, but I've never been into experimental jazz or chaos rock.  I walked away as one of the people with a question mark floating on the top, maybe in a couple years I'll have a light bulb.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 07:40:04 PM »

Quote from: "Atzend"
I gave it a try, but I just didn't get it.  Not saying it was bad, but I've never been into experimental jazz or chaos rock.  I walked away as one of the people with a question mark floating on the top, maybe in a couple years I'll have a light bulb.

For the most part, I was the same way....until the encore. I was pretty much bored with the show up until that point. The only thing that kept me interested was how fucking awesome of a bass player Watt is. But, the encore turned the show around completely and I'm 100% glad I went now. Went and bought a poster and met him after the show.

Pretty damn impressive bass player for a 47-year-old man on his 53rd straight day on tour.....

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 07:44:12 PM »

Oh yeah, other stuff I forgot. Cool to hear Watt compliment Spectre on his "corporate radio sucks" t-shirt by saying he was sad to hear we lost 97x this year. That was sweet. Also cool to hear Spectre's story about how he flipped off V.P. Cheney yesterday! LOL!!

Nice to meet you (again) psychic. Though I was highly impressed with Watt's bass skills, I was not with their music at all. I'll definately look into more of his older stuff though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up